Jul
2011

4 July 11: ALOHA!

After 24 hours of travel and lots of luck making some tricky connections, I am officially on vacation! Cat and I are having a little mid-season break, and where better to do it than at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows!

ML

Our flight arrived just in time for us to head out to Ali’ i Drive to watch the 4th of July fireworks over the ironman swim course—pretty cool! It is so great to be back on the island; it feels like it has been too long. I was already having sick Ultraman fantasies/flashbacks on our drive along the highway out to the Mauna Lani . . . The GCM was getting very worried.

Speaking of which, I finally have time to sit the GCM down for a chat in the next day or so to answer all of your Ironman Coeur d’Alene questions. So this is your last chance to post questions for this round of “Ask the GCM.”

More tomorrow!

Mary Tanner July 5, 2011 at 5:20 am

What is the GCM nutrition plan for the day?

Craig D. July 5, 2011 at 6:10 am

Congratulations on your IM Korea 3rd, and a vacation that is well deserved for both of you.
Last Questions for me for the CAT.
You were in the lead for so long in both IMSG and IMCD. Both perfomances breaking the previous course records. What are your thoughts at breaking the course records and still not coming up with the win?

I have seen great improvement in your running since the IM World Championships. What things have you worked on the most to improve your run form? What things do you still want to work on?

Alexa July 5, 2011 at 7:38 am

was he ever given an IV after the race? I did CDA and suffered from some major dehydration after the race (collapsing, vomiting, etc) and it took the med tent 2 hours to decide to give me an IV!

Justin July 5, 2011 at 10:18 am

What kind of weekly training miles does the CAT put in to get his bike times? I did IMStG and his 4:30ish time was nuts, what’s a fellow got to do (outside of genetics) to get these types of times? Does he have a “rule of thumb” in terms of weekly bike mileage? On his peak training weeks, how many hours on the bike? How much intensity? You know what I’m getting at? Hook a brother up

Justin

dooder July 5, 2011 at 10:25 am

Does the CAT ever look at himself in the mirror and say, “I have it all, the girl, the bod, the speed, and the looks!”?

Tanya July 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Great seeing you in Kona! Many congrats on Korea!

Richard July 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Congratulations to both of you on your recent races. Enjoy the vacation.

What top 3 bike training tips would CAT give to an age-grouper with limited training time (e.g. 9 to 12 hours per week total) where week in and week out volume is not possible. Would the advice differ for 70.3 versus 140.6?