Feb
2012

Gluten-Free Banana Waffle Party!

This morning after my run and swim, the GCM and I had a waffle-extravaganza here with our friend TJ. Waffle parties are a little tradition that we have with TJ and his wife, Ash (the super runner), when she is in town.

waffles GCM in action

We have been using this Pamela’s gluten-free mix for our waffles, but this evening as I went to finally get this recipe in writing to share here, I came to the very disturbing realization that it in fact contains buttermilk.

waffles pamela's mix

Boo.

waffle maker

Since going gluten-free, I find all too often that I have to make the choice for a gluten free or vegan product. Does anyone have a waffle mix that meets both needs??? HELP!

waffle with enjoy life choc chip

This was my choc-chip waffle with the Enjoy Life brand chips, which are both vegan and gluten-free. And this was our almost-foolproof protein waffle recipe:

ingredients:

5 ripe mashed bananas (we use these as a substitute for eggs and they make the waffles so much more flavorful anyways!)

6 cups waffle mix

Nutribiotic Vanilla Brown Rice Protein (substitute as much protein as you want for the waffle mix, so if you add a cup of brown rice protein (which would be a bit much!), take out a cup of waffle mix

3 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk

4 tbsp. sunflower oil

Coconut oil or other oil spray

optional: Enjoy Life mini chips

instructions:

Mix all of the above together. Spray heated waffle iron with coconut oil and pour the mix in! Cook ‘til golden brown and top with whatever you can imagine. The above feeds four very hungry triathletes or probably 8 or more normal people!

waffles toppings

These were our vegan and non-vegan toppings this morning . . .

waffles tj

Oh yeah, there was fruit involved as well! TJ enjoyed the fruit-nutella combo, which he provided for our feast. Gotta get this boy fueled to crush it this weekend at Ironman 70.3 Panama!

waffles moo watching

Missy Moo was very jealous.

waffles moo jealous

Yes, I know, she has very bad manners.

waffles moo jealous 2

She was desperate.

The waffles were darn good but now I am really bummed about the truth about Pamela’s mix.

Does anyone have a vegan and gluten-free waffle mix suggestion??

Kate @ Iron Nourishment February 6, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Hillary,
Namaste foods makes a gf, vegan mix ( it calls for eggs in preparation, but you can substitute) http://www.namastefoods.com/products/cgi-bin/products.cgi?Function=show&Id=23
Purely Elizabeth makes a great gf, pancake mix among other fabulous mixes!!

Enjoy!!

hillarybiscay February 7, 2012 at 9:57 am

kate! thank you! OMG now that i look at your link, i HAVE tried the Namaste brand. going back to that now! i love Purely Elizabeth too–just never know when it is OK to make a waffles with a pancake mix and when not to! thank you!!

Kristen February 7, 2012 at 4:24 am

I am Celiac with a Vegan daughter. I have used gluten-free bisquick for my waffles and I think they’re delicious!

c. jane harman February 7, 2012 at 7:11 am

hillary, missy mou doesn’t have bad manners — at least she stays in her chair. my small dog, joey, gets on the table when we’re eating. now, that’s bad manners. but it isn’t his fault … he has very permissive parents.

Dana February 7, 2012 at 8:30 am

I haven’t tried it…but found it from a link from your site… http://www.purelyelizabeth.com/perfectpancakemix.htm

Looks yummy!! (I really hate Pamela’s has milk in it, I LOVE everything of that brand that I’ve tried.)

Emily February 7, 2012 at 11:37 am

I love love love GF Bisquick for pancakes — I’m sure it’d be great for waffles too. Post-workout breakfast feasts are the best!

Bre February 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I use the Namaste brand occasionally- it’s pretty good. Are you okay with pure buckwheat? I have a gluten free mix from Ecoideas (and it’s gluten free/vegan) but they are super awesome b/c they use Himalayan sea salt, organic, annnnd fabulous flours like mung bean flour, in addition to buckwheat and br. rice, and sorghum! :) annnd it’s a “just add water mix”- for lazy cooks like me! ;) (can you buy Ecoideas in the USA? if you can’t let me know- I’ll send some down for you to try!)
Poor pups…she looks truly desperate for a nibble! ;)

Heather February 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Bummer on the Pamelas I agree, but I still use it occasionally as I found out the buttermilk portion is pretty low and the texture is so good it’s great for all round baking. I have been experimenting with making my own flour for mixes using quinoa. Surprisingly easy to make the flour, but have yet to come up with a good mix for baking, etc. There is however a great book called Quinoa 365 that has MANY awesome recipes – including for crepes and pancakes (gluten and dairy free), which could be turned into waffles with some experimenting. On a positive for Pamelas, their chocolate cake recipe is AWESOME!!

lucy francis February 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Oh no! You have so much to think of when choosing your ingredients.
Next time I go to our organic food shop I’ll look out for the Vegan section and see what I can find for pancake mixes as they have loads of US brands.

Those pancakes look delicious but funnily enough that’s something we don’t usually make here :-(

Susan January 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I’m a little late to this party, but have you tried Sugar & Spice Market’s recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Waffles?

hillarybiscay January 31, 2013 at 11:00 am

umm NO but i think i will be ordering some today–and perhaps some of their other products as well. thanks so much for bringing this stuff to my attention, susan–awesome!