Feb
2012

Homeward Bound

Coach sent me a photo of us not-so-eager swimmers yesterday, wading our way into the lake-o-gators in the cold . . .

clermont lake louisa swim

Today I ran into my girlfriend Kimmie, who is a triathlete based in Clermont, and she confirmed that, “Oh yeah there are big ones in there . . .” about Lake Louisa and gators. Awesome.

In related news, I am happy to report that I am now on a plane back to Tucson. My lovely squadmates, however, will be swimming in the lake again next weekend in an ITU race there. I am already getting so pumped about some virtual-spectating action this weekend: both the BFF and the GCM are racing! Mere is doing one of my all-time fave races, Ironman New Zealand, and the GCM will be tackling the Abu Dhabi Triathlon.

I will just be happy to be home  and reunited with my house and kitchen, in particular. I went for the $45/night cheap-motel option in Clermont and thus ended up at the lovely Days Inn on the side of the highway. I don’t need luxury, but staying there was slightly traumatic. It also meant that I didn’t have kitchen facilities and I have eaten more packaged food in the past few days than I care to think about!

As a training locale, Clermont was fine minus the lack of healthy eating options (Chipotle and Crispers were the best that I found), which isn’t a huge issue if one can cook for oneself. Soooo I am looking forward to a lot of salads, etc in my near future.

Nonetheless, I am so glad that I had a few days to spend with Coach and the kids. It was a very productive visit. Now it’s back to Tucson and the Tuesday smashfest. Can’t wait.

MilesMusclesMom February 28, 2012 at 6:34 am

soo….what you’re saying is Chipotle isn’t healthy?? dang…LOVE IT there! lol

the huge gators would freak me out a bit but other than that, looks like a lovely place for a swim. I’m itchin’ to get out into some open water!!

Best wishes to GCM and Meredith this weekend! My friend James (aka Iron Cowboy) is heading to NZ for his #3 IM of the season — he is doing 30.
He’s doing it to raise money for Quiet Way-pretty rad huh?

Safe travels home

ps-I started clipping my ipod to the ceiling of the pain cave this weekend in an effort to save it. This would be ipod #6 in the last year-I think I am literally drowning them in my sweat-let’s hope this works! :)

hillarybiscay February 28, 2012 at 7:22 am

oh i hear you jen! that’s why i was loving the ipod-cieling-clip sitch. i too have drowned many an ipod and now that they have that color-indicator thing inside for water damage, there are no free replacements:(. ummm 30x IRONMAN?!? does he have a blog?? i need to read about this! please give him my best. what a mission!

MilesMusclesMom February 28, 2012 at 8:18 am

Color indicator huh?? well, they just replaced mine this weekend!! I read somewhere if you put it in rice, it’ll dry it up. Tried that but it did not work…

James Lawrence aka Iron Cowboy
Here is his blog and his most recent IM RR from HITS Corpus Christi in Texas

lucy francis February 29, 2012 at 6:54 am

I don’t even know what chipolte is but must be some kind of fried meat?
I think all hotels cheap/expensive should have a mini kitchen with a microwave. It’s amazing what you can cook up with it.
Loads of brits in abhu dhabi this weekend. Good luck to your gcm. Aparently the have bike primes. Great option to make extra money

hillarybiscay February 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

haa lucy you will have to try chipotle when you come to TX. it is actually not bad–a build-your-own burrito/ salad/ rice bowl place. cheap, quick, and if you go with the salad or rice bowl, not terribly unhealthy.

lindsay February 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm

saw mere today!! wish you were here with her.
hugs!

hillarybiscay March 1, 2012 at 5:26 pm

i do too! thinking of you all so much and will be cheering loud at my computer tmrw! lots of spectating strength to you too linds!