Jan
2013

2013 Races!

I am feeling very organized this year because I’ve actually gone and entered all of my M-dot races already, here in January. Soooo I thought I’d share my schedule as it stands for the first big chunk of the season. I have some fun things in mind to do after Ironman Wisconsin, but that feels so far away that it all seems much too hypothetical to even discuss at this point.

For now, here’s my tentative schedule for the better part of 2013 and thoughts on these race selections.

2012 Ironman Wisconsin on September 9, 2012 in Madison, Wisconsin

Ironman Los Cabos, March 17: Early-season ironman in North America= good timing and minimal travel. I haven’t raced an ironman since September, which is practically an eternity in my world, so this one is a no-brainer.

Leadman Triathlon Tempe, April 14: Just down the road. I can count on less than one hand the number of money races that we have in Arizona, so this one is a nice addition to our local schedule.

Ironman Texas, May 18: This one makes a perfect double with Ironman Brasil. The timing and travel work well as it breaks up the trip east and, well, I just love racing ironmans on back-to-back weekends. It works for me.

Ironman Brasil, May 26: This will be my 7th time racing in Florianopolis. I love this country and its people so much that I just have to make it a yearly trip!

ML sunset june 4

Honu 70.3, June 1: I am not a huge fan of the half-ironman distance, but this race on the Big Island truly has a special “feel” about it. Plus, it gives me an excuse to get back to one of my favorite places in the world, the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows! The timing of this one is tricky, as it will make for 3 long-racing weekends in a row. But last year after my Ironman Wisconsin-Wales double, I actually felt alright the following weekend, so I got it in my head that I’d like to try some sort of “triple” someday . . .

Ironman Lake Placid, July 28: This is one of my favorite ironmans—a beautiful, hard course with fantastic support from the local community. I’d love to get back there, but this one will be the first to go if I find myself in need of an uninterrupted summer training block. I am hoping I can throw this one in the midst of summer training, but it will most likely be a game-time decision depending on how my fitness looks in July!

Ironman Mt. Tremblant, August 18: I was super bummed to miss this race last year and have heard nothing but great things about the race venue and organization. As an added bonus, Mt. Tremblant is a big-money race this year too. I’m not missing it this time!

Ironman Wisconsin, September 8: This week is pretty much why I race.

madison at night!

Charisa January 30, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Looks fun! I don’t think our schedule matches up at all though :( Will miss racing with you!!

hillarybiscay January 31, 2013 at 11:01 am

i think this just means that you need to come for a little tucson training??!?! :)

lucy francis January 31, 2013 at 1:34 am

OMG! You’re doing IM Texas and I’m not this year? Nooooooo!
That’s a great race, the bike isn’t hilly and it’s super hot and sunny….I even prayed for some cloud cover and some rain at some point in the race last year :-)
Great schedul3 by the way, I look forward to seeing you in action!

Haley January 31, 2013 at 3:06 am

Yay! See you in TX!!! Excited to see you kick off the triple!!

Damie January 31, 2013 at 3:12 am

whoa!!! Love the schedule! Look at all of the long races!!!!

Kris Cordova January 31, 2013 at 4:55 am

Yahoo! So excited you’re doing Ironman Texas! And to kick off a triple…awesome!!

Kara Diamond January 31, 2013 at 6:15 am

As I was scrolling down your schedule I had my fingers crossed Mount Tremblandt was on your schedule, I did a big YEAH when I saw it. This will be my second Ironman in Mount Tremblandt and it always helps to have the people who inspire me the most on course! I loved racing Arizona last fall knowing that you were cheering and I had my SMASH kit on that was awesome! Happy racing!

hillarybiscay January 31, 2013 at 10:59 am

you crushed IMAZ and looked amazing doing it! cannot wait to have another friend in SMASH on course in tremblant. it is supposed to be an incredible race-can’t wait!

Bre January 31, 2013 at 7:25 am

if you miss LP, MT will make up for it as it’s got all the best of LP but according to the crew that raced MT last year MT is 100x more fun and beautiful. ;) and I can make cupcake delivery service happen for MT as the crew is returning for more fun (or maybe I’ll hand deliver if I’m still here!) either way, MT has cupcakes.

Marvin Dittfurth January 31, 2013 at 7:25 am

You are amazing. I have always been a fan of yours because of your durability and resiliency. To me, you have confronted and have confronted the edge of what is possible; a true explorer, ironperson. Ironman Texas: God willing, it will be my first.

hillarybiscay January 31, 2013 at 10:58 am

YEAH for the first ironman adventure. this is awesome, martin. i look forward to cheering you on when we cross paths on course.

Lisa January 31, 2013 at 8:40 am

So excited you will be at IMTX! My husband is racing. Will you be doing a meet-n-greet for the race?! :)

hillarybiscay January 31, 2013 at 10:58 am

awesome, lisa!!! will be great to see you there–yes i hope to be doing a meet n greet somewhere and will keep you posted here for sure!

shayla January 31, 2013 at 11:24 am

woot, always love to see that you’re coming back to Wisconsin! i’m almost certain that the reasons you love it here are the reasons i just can’t leave. looks like an awesome season.

Victoria January 31, 2013 at 12:36 pm

So happy to see that Mont Tremblant made the cut! Very exciting, see you there.

Kris February 4, 2013 at 8:21 pm

IMMT will be my first Ironman – I love reading your blog and hope to have the opportunity to meet you there!