Jan
2014

More on Juicing & Vitamixing!

I had a question from Patricia in response to last week’s blog: she asked about the juicer vs. the Vitamix and what I was doing with all that fruit. So I thought I’d describe what goes where in our house, and hopefully these ideas might be helpful!

I could not live without my Vitamix. The juicer is a fantastic bonus but if I had to pick between the two, the Vitamix would be my choice, as I can’t live without my daily Vega shake.

I use the juicer for fruits and veggies that I know I simply won’t get myself to chew enough of in order to get the amount of nutrients that I should be getting.

juicing veggies

JUICING FAVORITES:

Cucumber

Apple

Orange

Lemon

Carrot

Ginger

Pear

Beet

Celery

today's juice!

Now that we have our second fridge, we are juicing in bulk! It is great to be able to make a few days’ worth in one go.

The Vitamix is essential for blending my Vega shakes with all kinds of fruits, veggies, and nuts. I blend the stuff that doesn’t give me a lot of bang for my buck in a juicer—like greens—and the stuff that makes for a good-tasting shake! If I am super-motivated, I will sometimes put a fresh juice in the blender and blend it up with some greens for the best of both worlds.

VITAMIX FAVORITES:

Almonds & nut butters

Dates

Bananas

Greens: Spinach, Romaine, Kale

Berries

Zucchini

Vega protein powder: Vega One, Vega Sport & Vega Protein Smoothie

I should qualify all of this by saying that I could certainly whip up a Vega shake in any old blender; I just love the Vitamix because of all of the other good stuff it allows me to sneak in there and still come out with a very smoothly-blended shake.

Hope this helps!

Patricia January 29, 2014 at 3:48 am

Thanks a lot!

lucy francis February 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

I must admit that juicing is not for me only because I live in a cold climate and I like to chew.
I’d rather make soup which I will warm up. I have my own recipes plus I’ll add any leftover herbs/veg into them and blend everything a bit like baby soup. The vitamix would have been excellent for that.

Itell you what vegetable I’ve just discovered: BEETROOT, roasted with olive oil, dried oregano and a couple of mashed up cloves of garlic, in the oven for just over an hour…YUM! Just make sure you wear your lava berry SMASH top because everything is going to end up that colour : hands, work tops etc if you’re not careful :-)

Oh and have you heard about this clever little machine: Yonanas
it turns frozen fruit into….”ice cream” with nothing added to it, just the fruit.

hillarybiscay February 5, 2014 at 6:03 pm

oh YES yonanas is amazing! we got one for xmas a year ago and i think gave it as a gift to 2 other people last year as well–great stuff!! we love beets for juicing too as minimal handling is required but yes i am a bit scared to cut them up and stain myself and the whole place!

Elizabeth February 3, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Love, love, love my Vitamix too! For xmas we also got the smaller container for blending grains and that is so awesome for a economical way to make GF flour blends (ie. rice, almond, oat, etc). It does work differently for the grains—really silky smooth! For the big one, I’m obsessed with drinking my kale every which way! :)

hillarybiscay February 5, 2014 at 6:01 pm

elizabeth! thank you for the feedback on the grain attachment. we have been wondering about that and may need to invest in that ! do you use that for nut butters or the normal container?

Elizabeth February 6, 2014 at 10:04 am

We’d been tossing the idea around too but then we saw it at Costco for $99 and figured what the heck. I haven’t used it for nut butter yet only to make my own grains. There is a definite difference in the grains than the bigger one–much finer consistency and better for baking. And less trying to remember if I have certain GF flours on hand, which is cool. The blades are a different shape so I wonder if nut butter would work as well as it does in the other one? We’d also thought we’d use it if we weren’t making juice/smoothie stockpile but single serving. Here’s a review I found that may be of help to you: http://www.thekitchn.com/vitamix-dry-grains-container-product-review-188834

hillarybiscay February 7, 2014 at 5:20 pm

this is super helpful , elizabeth-thank you! my hubs will be thrilled to have an excuse to buy yet another device for the kitchen :)